Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Run and Sweat to Death Is More Like It.

June 11, 2014


Well, we went to Houston on May 31, and in 90 degree heat, we walked the 5K Run or Dye marathon. We turned in a respectable time, 56 minutes.  I know, turtles walk faster, and  I will admit there were a few times that I was really disturbed when really old crippled people zipped right past us.  But, the whole point of this adventure is to set goals for ourselves and achieve them.  Our goal was to complete the course and set a baseline time.  We did, so I will try to quit griping.That means the next time we enter, we have to beat 56 minutes.









Did we enjoy the event?  Enjoy might be too strong a word.  We had to get up at 7:00 in the morning to sign up. I can truthfully say that I never enjoy getting up a 7:00 am on a Saturday.














 On our way of the hotel, we grabbed breakfast, and it was nice to just eat what I wanted--that was our reward for sticking to the plan and entering the race.














 Doyle was very supportive, bless his heart, he was there with us the whole time.  He took pictures, bought us sunglasses, kept us company while we were waiting for the 5K to officially begin. Then he stood around for an hour waiting for us to finish.  Here are a few of the pictures of the pre-race activities.



























 It was interesting, but I don't know that I would call it fun. The best part was that the sky was dark and stormy, which blocked the sun and kept us from burning to a crisp. Happily, tThe rain held off until we were finished, otherwise we would have been extremely uncomfortable, cool, but soggy.




















When it was all over, I got the feeling that Donna might balk at finding another 5K, but yesterday she looking for another marathon  for us to enter. It goes without saying that it will be one that focuses on the FUN rather than winning. Turtles never caring about winning, just finishing.


So, Mom only tells half the story. You know the part that doesn't mention that she constantly told me we had to speed up, even though we agreed that it didn't matter how fast we went. She is very competitive. But the absolute best part was finishing. And that was because it was a goal we set. But next time, I am thinking a night time 5k not a marathon (have no idea where she gets marathon from.) 





No comments:

Post a Comment